Unfortunately, according to the United Sates Fire Administration, over
4,000 fires occur every year on Thanksgiving Day. Thanksgiving can bring
fun, festivities, and celebrations. While some choose to have small dinners,
others choose to spend the holiday visiting with family and close friends
over extravagant family-get-togethers and large feasts. Of course, with
so much cooking and decorating occurring on this day, it is important
that you and your family take the proper safety precautions to prevent
For a fire-free and safe Thanksgiving celebration, consider the following tips:
- Do not leave cooking appliances such as stoves, grills, or ovens unattended.
- Use a cooking timer when leaving food items in the oven or on the stove
for long periods.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing or hanging accessories while cooking or spending
time in the kitchen.
- Before the festivities, be sure to check that all smoke and CO2 alarms
are working correctly.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in a safe and easy-to-reach place.
- Do not keep small appliances plugged in if they are not being used.
- If a fire does occur, don’t splash water on it to put it out.
- Be sure to keep children and animals out of the kitchen and away from barbecue grills.
- Ensure all candles are in low-traffic areas, but do not leave them unattended
- If you smell smoke or a fire ignites, call 9-1-1 immediately.
By making sure you take the proper safety precautions, you can ensure that
you, your family, and your guests have a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday.
Schneider & Overett Is Here to Help You
Accidents happen, but most are avoidable. That’s why our law firm
is committed to helping victims of avoidable personal injuries pursue
compensation for their damages. If you suffered harm by no fault of your
own or because of someone else’s negligence, get in touch with our
Huntington Beach personal injury lawyers at Schneider Overett immediately.
We can take the time to understand your injuries and determine who should
be held responsible for your harm. No matter what your case may be, our
team can provide you with aggressive representation.